The Cambell-Madison House, designed in 1893 by noted architect Harry Ridgway, is a wonderful example of the Victorian Transitional style. Built by James S. Blick for the Cambell family, prominent orange grove ranchers and civic activists, it was cited in a 1910 edition of Ladies Home Journal as one of the “revolutionary” stucco homes in the Los Angeles region. Known affectionately as Madison House to members, volunteers and staff, it served as the headquarters of Pasadena Heritage since 1995, and has not been on the market for over 50 years.
Its classic floor plan features a formal entry, living room, parlor and grand dining room with built-in cabinets, exemplary carpentry and a broad bay window that highlights the view of Singer Park. There are also four bedrooms, including one en-suite on the main level, two baths, den, kitchen with spacious service areas, and sun porch, plus a sizable basement with ample storage. Period details are found throughout: deep baseboards and subtly complex moldings, nearly intact original door knobs and cabinet hardware, oversized double hung windows and large bays that bring in an abundance of natural light. Additional amenities include two central air units, retrofitted foundation, fresh exterior paint and a two-car detached garage.
Sited on a large lot in the heart of Pasadena, Madison House enjoys close proximity to premier dining, shopping and cultural landmarks. It also serves as a contributing structure to the Markham Place Historic District, which is on the National Register of Historic Places, and offers flexibility for either residential or potential light commercial use. Further, its Mills Act status provides for substantial property tax savings.
Here is an exceptional opportunity to steward the restoration of this historic property.
• Home: 3,190 square feet (taped)
• Basement: 568 square feet (taped)
• Site: 12,972 square feet (per public records)
Offered at $1,200,000
Steve Lic #00840777
Lisa Lic #01399982(626) 797-6500